Dental crowns and bridges are two of the most widely used restorations, made from a dental-grade ceramic material that can be customized to a great extent, thereby staying under disguise in the mouth. With the advancements in dentistry, these restorations can be fabricated more straightforwardly and easily. We use state-of-the-art equipment for this purpose, which has several advantages over its alternatives.
Conventional crowns and bridges
A few years ago, crowns were made in the traditional way. The dentist would take x-rays of the oral cavity, and ask the patient to bite into a gooey, clay-like piece of material. This helps to get the tooth's impression as it acts as a reference for fabricating the restoration. This method has a few disadvantages, such as less accurate measurements, the irregular contour of the restoration, the discomfort experienced by the patient, a long waiting period for the restoration to be fabricated, etc. Hence, there was a need for a more technologically advanced means of making these restorations.
What are same-day crowns and bridges?
As the name suggests, same-day crowns and bridges can be fabricated and bonded to the teeth on the same day of the initial consultation. But, you could be wondering how restoration is fabricated in such a short period. This is possible due to an advanced system called CEREC. CEREC stands for Chairside Economical Restoration using Esthetic Ceramic.
How are restorations fabricated using CEREC?
When you visit our dental practice for a consultation, the dentist will thoroughly diagnose your condition and determine your candidacy. A hand-held scanning device is used to scan the teeth and create a digital mold. It can be viewed on a chairside computer screen, which the dentist uses to get a better view of the teeth. The data will be entered into a CAD/CAM machine that is present in our dental practice—the machine mills out the restoration to perfection from a solid piece of ceramic. The dentist retrieves the restoration and makes subtle adjustments to it before permanently bonding it to your tooth using dental adhesives.
What are the advantages of same-day restorations?
- Crowns and bridges can be fabricated and bonded to the teeth in a short span of time.
- The restorations fabricated will be highly accurate in terms of size, contour, fit, and color. The dentist can polish it after bonding to improve its luster.
- The process of making a mold of the teeth is a simple one. Patients will no longer have to bite into a gooey substance, which is quite uncomfortable.
- With CEREC, you will have the luxury of walking into our practice in the morning and walking out with an entirely transformed smile in a matter of a few hours.
- CEREC restorations offer excellent durability and longevity.
Please schedule an appointment online or call us at (630) 978-9005 to have a consultation with Dr. Sun, and we will be happy to help.